Schools Suspend High-Level Outdoor Activities After 15-Year-Old Student Dies Following Incident at SAFRA Yishun


SINGAPORE: All schools will suspend outdoor activities involving high elements with immediate effect, following the death of a 15-year-old student on Thursday, February 4 following an incident at a camp program at SAFRA Yishun.

“The safety of our students has always been a priority for us, and we are working with police and relevant parties to investigate the incident,” the Ministry of Education (MOE) and the Anglo-Chinese school said. (independent) in a joint press release. Thursday.

The boy reportedly lost his footing while attending a high-level class at SAFRA Yishun on Wednesday afternoon, but was “suspended by the safety harness and then lost consciousness when lowered to the ground,” said the police said.

Police said they received a call for help at around 2 p.m. Wednesday. The boy was unresponsive when officers arrived, they said.

“Preliminary investigations suggest that there is no criminal act. Police investigations are ongoing,” they added.

News of the incident was first reported by The Straits Times on Thursday afternoon.

In their joint statement Thursday evening, the Education Department and ACS (Independent) said they were “greatly saddened” by the student’s death.

All schools will suspend high-level outdoor activities with immediate effect, pending investigations, the statement said.

“Together, we are working closely together to give our full support to the student’s family as well as classmates and teachers during this difficult time,” the Education Department and ACS said (Independent ).

The activity the boy participated in was organized by the outdoor adventure learning company Camelot. The company is working with the MOE and the school to provide support for the family, Camelot said in a statement Thursday evening.

“Investigations are currently underway into the circumstances surrounding the incident. Camelot has provided, and will continue to provide, its fullest cooperation and assistance to the competent authorities in this matter.

Describing the incident as an “incident,” SAFRA said in a statement that the student was part of an ACS (independent) camp program held at SAFRA Yishun Adventure Sports Center.

The school had hired Camelot, an accredited supplier, to run this specific program for its students, SAFRA said in a statement Thursday evening.

“While investigations are ongoing, all activities at the adventure sports center have been temporarily suspended,” the statement said.

The Singapore Civil Defense Force (SCDF) received the call for help at 1:50 p.m. on Wednesday, it said.

Upon their arrival, the boy was found unconscious on the ground. SCDF responders immediately performed CPR and applied an Automated External Defibrillator (AED).

He was taken unconscious to Khoo Teck Puat hospital where he died on Thursday, police said.

Source link


Comments are closed.